Burly Writer

My photo
I'm a Writer, if by Writer you mean a misanthrope.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Burly Dames: Genevieve Bujold



Sometimes you see a woman who stirs in you the idea: If I could, I would love her forever.

Like most women who really knock me out in life and culture, I didn't think much of Bujold when I first saw her, in the movie COMA back in the 1980s. I had a whole alternate view of what beauty was back then.

Then I was watching a Sherlock Holmes flick with Christopher Plummer and James Mason, at some point in the early 1990s, called MURDER BY DECREE. Directed by the guy who made PORKY'S, believe it or not, a solid procedural about Holmes and Watson hunting Jack the Ripper. Bujold pops up in what amounts to a cameo, as a patient in an insane asylum who wasn't insane until her heart was broken and she was conspiratorally locked away from the eyes of Man. Plummmer's Sherlock Holmes essentially falls in love with Bujold's shattered character. And so did I.

In some other world, some other life, I kissed her ear while walking in tall grass. Aye, but I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment