Burly Writer

My photo
I'm a Writer, if by Writer you mean a misanthrope.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hell's Squeaky Spinner Rack: 11-1-09

There's a new Fantastic Four comic book in town, drawn in a very cool, very evocative style by Dale Eaglesham. The writer is Jonathan Hickman, who's had success in smaller "independent" comics, I guess. I've never read anything by him. In the first three issues of his FF run, he pretty much asserts the cosmic granduer of the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby years fused with the core values of family, loyalty, love and poignancy found in that same 100-plus issue run.

Hard to say how this will all shake out. Dwayne McDuffie and Paul Pellitier's FF run from a little while back was probably the best FF I'd read since John Byrne's seminal work in the 1980s, but McDuff's run didn't last nearly as long. A true shame. So it's hard to get excited about any comic book run in this day and age. Even with Hickman, in a text piece at the end of his third issue, assuring us there are "years" worth of adventures ready to be told.

I haven't bought an ish of FF since the late 1980s. I've read some since, I've bought some back issues and marveled over the mediocrity of what came after I jumped ship. But just Friday I bought FF 572 and was, well, happy about it.

I mean, Hickman and Eaglesham have even brought back the cool retro logo that I grew up with in the late 1970s, complete with new icon heads.



And in purchasing FF once more, I felt good about it, like something was right. Who knows how long that will last?

On another Marvel Comics related note, Agents of Atlas is having a two-issue crossover with the Evil Empire of the Uncanny X-Men comics, to soon become a back-up in the same X-comic.

The horrible fate I feel may befall me is being forced to buy X-MEN if I want to continue to read Jeff Parker's great pulp-adventure series. But it's impossible to avoid at this point, since I love AoA, and nobody has a better grasp on this iteration of these Pulp archetypes than Parker right now. So I'm stuck. About the only good thing I can say is that Parker is also writing the X-focus book. So at least I can stand to read that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment